Iowa AEA Online - This webpage lists all of these databases but you will need passwords. Iowa AEA Online is accessible on the Learning Commons page.
1. AEA Digital Library - Digital curriculum resources from leading producers of preK-12 content.
2. AP - Over 9 million primary-source photographs, sound bites, maps, charts, timelines and text news stories from the Associated Press.
3. Britannica School Edition - Suite of products designed to support student research and classroom instruction.
4. CultureGrams - Perspective on daily life and culture, including the history, customs, and lifestyles of the world's people.
5. Gale - Only on Iowa AEA Online webpage, but also accessible from our Learning Commons page. This is a comprehensive database with primary sources. Gale eResources offers screened and reliable content from magazines, newspapers, and reference materials.
6. iClipart - A collection of more than 7.8 million royalty-free photos, clipart, fonts, animations, and sounds.
7. Learn360 - Library of educational videos, video clips, images, and other teacher resources.
8. SIRS Issues Researcher - Exploration of the origins, perspectives, and essential questions under debate on over 300 pro/con social issues.
9. Soundzabound - Licensed audio that can be used without copyright infringement in videos, podcasts, and other forms of multimedia.
10. TeachingBooks.net - Collection of author video or audio interviews, book readings, teaching resources and lesson plans to support student reading skills and interests.
11. FreedomFlix - Online resource that converts the Cornerstones of Freedom series into enhanced eBooks. All the eBooks include related content and primary sources featuring videos, audio, images, and text. Educator resources include lesson plans, writing prompts and whiteboard activities.
12. Teen Health and Wellness - Nonjudgmental, straightforward information on today's teen health and wellness issues.
Also on our Learning Commons Page:
MackinVia- Online portal that makes it easy to access these eBooks. There is a link on our Learning Commons page for MackinVia. It has one easy access to ebooks and educational databases. MackinVia also permits students to save the e-resources they like using the Via Backpack. MackinVia eBooks can also be read on tablets, mobile devices and Smart phones by downloading the free app. In MackinVia students can highlight, create notes and cite sources with a direct link to EasyBib. You will need the Iowa AEA passwords for this. Need more info? Go to
New to MackinVia - MackinVIA-Connext.com, a website that aims to create an active and engaging community for teachers and librarians to comfortably share ideas about education.
LearningExpressLibrary - An interactive online learning platform featuring over 770 practice tests, tutorials, and eBooks related to job search and workplace skills improvement, career certification and licensing exam preparation, college entrance exam preparation, GED exam preparation, and basic skills improvement in reading, writing, and math, for all ages. You'll get immediate scoring, complete answer explanations, and an individualized analysis of your results. First time users need to register.
Lesson Plans & More:
PBS LearningMediaTM is the go-to destination for instant access to tens of thousands of classroom-ready, digital resources including videos, games, audio clips, photos, lesson plans, and more! You can search, save, and share with ease. Best of all, PBS LearningMedia is free for educators.
PBS Teachers - Resources for grade 9-12 in: The Arts, Health & Fitness, Math, Reading & Language Arts, Science & Tech, Social Studies.
Lesson Planet - The Search Engine for Teachers. Search 400,000+ teacher-reviewed online lesson plans & worksheets.
Read Write Think - Lesson plans sorted by title, grade, etc. Also has student interactives.
Iowa AEA Online - Under the Educators tab there is a lesson plan database.
Skype an Author - The mission of the Skype an Author Network is to provide K-12 teachers and librarians with a way to connect authors, books, and readers through virtual visits.
November Learning- Validating websites. Education Resources for Web Literacy. In a world of information overload, it is vital for students to be able to find information on the Web, as well as to determine its validity and appropriateness. Our web literacy materials demystify the process Web so you can impart the vital skills students need to be safe, successful 21st century learners.
Grammar Bytes - Grammar Instruction with attitude. Includes detailed terms, interactive exercises, handouts, PowerPoint presentations, and more!
Apps that are free:
Feedly - Feedly is the better way to organize, read and share the content of your favorite sites. A powerful tool. With Multiple layout options, auto-mark as read, tagging, advanced sharing, keyboard shortcuts. All in one place. Organize your favorite blogs, news sites, podcasts and Youtube channels and access them all in one place (or sync with Google Reader). Blazing fast. Transforms web sites into pocket-size cards which load quickly and are easy to read. Open and Extensible. Save articles across devices or share them on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Evernote, Pinterest or LinkedIn. Directly or via Buffer, Pocket or Instapaper. Always In Sync. Feedly is available everywhere you go. Your phone, tablet and computer are always in sync.
Prezi - Prezi is cloud-based, meaning you can present from your browser, desktop, iPad, or iPhone and always have the latest version of your work at your fingertips. Create or edit on the go, then auto-sync across all your devices with ease.
Wufoo - The online form builder. Wufoo is a web application that helps anybody build amazing online forms. When you design a form with Wufoo, it automatically builds the database, backend and scripts needed to make collecting and understanding your data easy, fast and fun.
Wordle - Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends.
Scribble Maps - Scribble Maps is a fun and useful application for drawing and typing on Google Maps. Using Scribble Maps anyone can draw and type on a map. All of the zoom options and most of the search options available on Google Maps are available when using Scribble Maps. Scribble Maps could be a good resource for teachers of geography, history, or current events. Using Scribble Maps students could create a map on which they highlight various sites and include short text descriptions of those places. Scribble Maps could also be used to quickly draw a simple timeline on a map.
Too Noisy - A fun app....Do you think the hum of student chatter is too high when working in class? Too Noisy helps you control the background noise that exists in your classroom using visuals and in real-time. You set the appropriate level of noise and if your class rise above this level, an alarm will sound. Quiet please!
Khan Academy - Khan Academy is an organization on a mission. We're a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education for anyone anywhere. All of the site's resources are available to anyone. It doesn't matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, or an adult returning to the classroom after 20 years. Khan Academy's materials and resources are available to you completely free of charge.
Cue Prompter - This is just like a teleprompter on your computer screen. Great tool when videotaping kids doing newscasts, etc.
Storybird - This is a visual story telling site. Choose illustrations and write a story creating a book. This site is solely for online purposes--if you want to print you need to pay. You need to register and then sign in. After you sign in, there is a demo to watch, which will be the easiest way to get started.
Quizlet - Quizlet is a free website providing learning tools for students, including flashcards, study and game modes. Contains over 30 million study sets. All of the material is user-generated.